Archive for March, 2008

Obligatory DebConf post

I'm NOT going to DebConf

2008-03-28 22:22:28+0200

debian | Comments Off

Xulrunner 1.9beta4 *not* approaching experimental

I appear to have underestimated the remaining work needed to get xulrunner in a pleasant enough shape for an upload. Which means the package won’t be ready this week-end. It’s always when you come closer to the goal that it gets farther…

And I still haven’t decided once and for all if I would still version the libxul library. The problem is the following: there are two different ways to link or load libxul: dependent glue or standalone glue. The first one dynamically links embedding applications to both libxpcom and libxul, while the second links to a static library (well, dynamic, in Debian, because there is no reason why we should need to binNMU all reverse dependencies whenever we fix something in the glue), which dlload()s libxul. From Mozilla POV, embedding applications are supposed to use the standalone glue.

Considering we will more than probably have both schemes in use within reverse dependencies, I’m not sure I still want to bother diverging from upstream by keeping SO versioning on libxpcom and libxul… That unfortunately means that we will go back to the previously sucky situation where reverse dependencies have to put a dependency on the Gecko runtime themselves. A debhelper might help, though.

I will keep SO versioning on libmozjs, though, because it has some reverse dependencies, and a changing ABI.

The good news, anyways, is that I was able to build and run Iceweasel on top of the xulrunner pre-package.

I also ran sunspider on both this Iceweasel 3.0b4 and Iceweasel 2.0 ; the difference is really impressive: 3.0b4 is almost 4 times as fast !

For reference, the Webkit currently in unstable (which is quite old, actually), gives these results. The one in experimental unfortunately crashes. By the way, I’m planning to package a new Webkit snapshot soon after I’m done with xulrunner and Iceweasel, we’ll see then how it performs.

While speaking of tests, both Iceweasel 3.0b4 and Webkit from experimental pass the Acid 2 test (contrary to Iceweasel 2.0), and have both quite good results on the Acid 3 test: 61 for Webkit from experimental, when it doesn’t crash (but current trunk has been reported to score 91 !), and 67 for Iceweasel 3.0b4 (compared to 52 for Iceweasel 2.0).

Update: Interestingly, built with upstream optimization flags (-Os-freorder-blocks -fno-reorder-functions) instead of -O2, it is slighly slower, though it might be better on some older hardware, or other architectures (I’m testing on x86-64).

2008-03-16 00:06:02+0200

webkit, xulrunner | 6 Comments »

Recovering files from ext3

Carlo Wood wrote a nice piece of documentation about how to recover files from ext3, based on his experience after deleting 3GB.

This actually happened to me 5 years ago, now, and is how ext3rminator came to exist. I’ve been meaning to update it for a while (and journal parsing has been on the top of the TODO list for a while), but package maintenance is unfortunately time consuming. And I have a big tendancy to do something else, too (like coding on git).

2008-03-13 21:05:09+0200

ext3rminator | 2 Comments »

Xulrunner 1.9beta4 approaching experimental

It’s been a while I’ve not talked about my packages. I’ve been preparing a xulrunner trunk upload for a while now, and I must say that while I’m not totally happy with evolutions in Mozilla codebase, I do appreciate that a significant amount of the patches we were applying have been applied upstream. And even more will be applied when Firefox 3.0beta5 is released. I even got patches that were *not* in Debian to be applied. Thanks have to go to Reed Loden for all this.

Another nice thing on Mozilla trunk is that they finally stopped patching sqlite, which means we can now have Mozilla linked against the system one. It is even more important now that libnss uses sqlite, too.

And now that we have libcairo 1.5 in experimental, and recent enough nss and nspr in unstable (uploaded a few days ago, creating some mess with iceweasel, iceape and xulrunner), we have all the necessary bits to have (most of) the bundled libraries replaced by system ones.

The sad thing is they did implement APNG (animated png) in their bundled libpng, so, to have APNG support, we need to either patch libpng or use the bundled one. I’ll see if I can just disable APNG for the moment.

I hope to be able to upload the package to experimental on saturday or sunday, based on the firefox 3.0pre4 codebase. Iceweasel should follow a few days later.

2008-03-13 20:53:58+0200

xulrunner | 3 Comments »