Eddy has been exposing some of the long standing feature requests for Mozilla. They have a huge record or such requests. My favourites:
- needsterminal flag in /etc/mailcap not supported, 5 years old,
- Support for $http_proxy environment variable, 6 years old,
- -width and -height options ignored, almost 7 years old,
- Reply-to-List feature in mailer, almost 7 years old,
- Support for the <ruby/> xhtml element, 7 years old,
- Inheritance of alignment attributes in table columns, almost 9 years old
And these requests are only a small subset…
On the other hand, I’m amazed the 1.8.1 branch (the one for Firefox 2.0) is ABI compatible with 1.8.0 (Firefox 1.5). I’m currently running epiphany with a pre-release of libxul 22.214.171.124 (coming soon in sid), and it works flawlessly (so far), without rebuilding epiphany.
I must say I’m impressed, especially when I look back at how 1.7.x releases were.